The first airport facility in the area was called Bowles Field, and was established in 1907. It consisted of a field, small hanger, and farmhouse. The exact location is unknown. It is believed that Bowles Field was absorbed by Admiral Byrd Field, which opened on January 21, 1931. Byrd Field is considered to be Winchester’s first true established airport and was located adjacent to U.S. Rt. 50 near the intersection of U.S. Rt. 522.
The Winchester Regional Airport (ICAO identifier: OKV) is a general aviation facility that was founded in its current location on December 2, 1937. Originally licensed by the Commonwealth as a commercial airport and known as Winchester Municipal Airport, OKV was owned and operated by the City of Winchester for the first 50 years of its existence. State legislation passed in 1987 established the Winchester Regional Airport Authority (WRAA) with board representation from 5 jurisdictions: Frederick County, City of Winchester, Shenandoah County, Clarke County, and Warren County. The WRAA is the legal entity responsible for management and ownership of the Winchester Regional Airport. More information about the Authority can be found here.